What document is needed to travel to the USA?


If you have a French passport and simply want to travel to the United States for tourism or business travel, you will only need an authorization called ESTA, which stands for Electronic System for Traveling Authorization.

France is indeed one of the 38 countries exempt from visa requirements to visit the United States. How to easily obtain this document and what does it entitle you to?

Easily obtain ESTA

If you don't do your ESTA request at least 72 hours before taking your flight to the United States you run the risk of not being able to board and in any case you will be refused when you arrive on American soil. It is therefore better to plan to take this step a little longer in advance if there should be any complications.

It is done entirely on the Internet from the official US government site or through a specialized site. The fixed price is $ 14 and the process only takes about a quarter of an hour.

You must first bring your passport, having checked its validity, your ticket to enter the flight number, the address of your stay in the USA (if you are staying in several hotels, the indication of only one will suffice) as well as 'a contact telephone number. Of course, you will also need to have a credit card nearby in order to pay the $ 14 fee.

Once logged in, simply answer the long questionnaire where you will be asked for example if you have been convicted in your country, if you plan to undermine the security of the United States and other multiple security issues and sanitary. As a rule, questions are worded in such a way that they should be answered in the negative if this is obviously the case.

What does ESTA allow?

As previously stated, ESTA allows travel to the United States, but only if the length of stay does not exceed 90 days in a row. However, it is authorized to make several trips or stays of 90 days from the time of leaving the territory.

The ESTA is also valid for a period of 2 years. During this period, you can therefore go to the United States as many times as you want. This is very convenient for people having business or working relations with that country. However, there is no guarantee that after obtaining an ESTA the first time, it will be granted automatically the second time.

Indeed, each request is treated individually and separately. Moreover, it should be noted that the authorization is personal. If you are traveling in a group, each trip participant must therefore make their own ESTA request. The control of possession of the authorization is usually done on arrival and depending on the company before boarding the plane.

Please do not hesitate to seek advice from those around you and if the system refuses permission to contact the US embassy or consulate.